Please find below a message from Tommaso Calarco - member of the High Level Steering Committee (HLSC) of the EU Quantum Technology Flagship.
this is an update about the Quantum Technologies Flagship process, and about opportunities for you to help shape it. Attached to this email you will find:
(1) the Quantum Technologies scientific roadmap, coming from a process initiated by the ERA-Pilot initiative in 2005 and now in its 9th version, edited by the members of the QT Virtual Institutes and Virtual Facilities (qurope.eu/vi);
(2) a consensus report from the QUTE Flagship Working Group (members listed at the end of the report), which was initiated last June by the Strategic Advisory Board of the Coordination Action QUTE-Europe (qurope.eu/content/qute-europe-sab);
(3) a description of that Working Group and of the “Quartet” of people (T. Debuisschert, T. Strohm, R. Thew, F. Wilhelm-Mauch) who are currently coordinating it, following my nomination to the Flagship High Level Steering Committee.
The Working Group had been tasked with exploring community consensus about the possible structure and governance of the QT Flagship. Feedback on its first draft from the groups registered on the Qurope database (qurope.eu/db/groups) was consolidated, during its September 15th meeting, into the attached consensus report.
I have presented the documents (1) and (2) to the Flagship High Level Steering Committee (HLSC, see ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/news/expert-group-quantum-technology-flagship-now-set) in its first meeting on September 20th. The HLSC now seeks a broad community consultation both on the Flagship research agenda and on its structure, governance and implementation models.
You have two opportunities to participate, which are open to the whole community: an online feedback channel, and a European-wide workshop, taking place on November 10th in Berlin right before the HLSC’s next meeting. You are invited to:
- indicate your interest to join the Berlin workshop via https://goo.gl/forms/2vjdqv1gCQRa6WEF2 by October 11th;
- provide your feedback on the above documents via https://goo.gl/forms/EnvJjzC6OmdVDNW82 by October 25th;
- register your group on the Europe database mentioned above, if not yet present;
- disseminate this message as broadly as possible, in an effort to reach everybody who is interested and to gather as much feedback as possible.
The QUTE Flagship Working Group will:
- send, in the week following October 11th, confirmations of participation to the Berlin workshop (we are still looking for a venue, so space may be limited, but we will try to broadcast the event via web and to provide an online chat for real-time feedback), as well as its agenda, currently planned to run from 9 to 15;
- compile, in the weeks following October 25th, your feedback collected via the online form, to be presented in Berlin on November 10th;
- prepare, in the meantime, a first draft of the Flagship research agenda, based on the scientific roadmap and on input from industries, to be also discussed at the Berlin workshop.
The HLSC members will be present at the workshop, and will use the resulting outcomes as an input in view of preparing its recommendations to the EC.
PS: in case of any further questions or issues with the google forms, please do not hesitate to contact Mattia Giardini <mattia.giardini uni-ulm.de> .